Saturday, April 16, 2022

April 16: Poem 16

I do not do not
    want to write
a poem today
    or tonight
if you make me
    I just might
just to hurt you
    out of spite
pretend to think
    pretend to write
in my journal
    clean and white
but all the while
    in plain sight
I will scribble
    left and right
up and down
    in dark and light
and you will think
    you won the fight
you made me made me
    made me write
inside my journal
    clean and white
but it is nothing
    no poem in sight.
and that will fill
    you up with fright
how bright I am
    like anthracite
that I fooled you
    I won this fight
creativity 
    you did ignite
but not for poems
    you luddite
instead for wasting
    of graphite
but now I see
    there's no respite
ack! my poem
    I must recite.

Notes

I am thinking about all the ways my students are going to avoid writing poetry next week, and I suppose channeling some Shel Silverstein in the process. The funny think is that I'm avoiding, and have been avoiding, writing the poem I need to write this week. I also know that, since tomorrow is Easter Sunday, I have to write it. So, procrastination has bought me another day, but that's all I'm going to get. 

I almost want to do a Shel Silverstein-inspired doodle with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment