Wednesday, April 6, 2022

April 6: Poem 6

Legolas, sweet Legolas
O cat of midnight hue,
Legolas, my Legolas
'Twas Mary did name you.

Legolas, bold Legolas
Does my mom guide your paws?
Legolas, wise Legolas
She reiki master was.

Legolas, dear Legolas
In elbow fossa hide.
Legolas, sleep Legolas
This moment may abide.

Notes

I woke up with this one banging around in my head at 3:30. It's got a whole Doctor Suess thing to it that I don't mind. Our cat Legolas (named for the Tolkien elf), who never cared much for me to be honest, suddenly has been my best friend since I have been sick. He keeps trying to curl up near my neck and 'make buscuits' there (kneading with his paws - which Mary refers to as 'making biscuits'), which is both sweet and can be painful if I don't stop him fast enough. I wake up to find him sleeping on my belly more often than not of late.

And yes, I looked up 'what the inside of your elbow is called', and 'fossa' is such a great word, I had to put it in. He pushes his face into the crook of my elbow ('crook' is so much less poetic than 'fossa'... I mean, say the words out loud). It is the first time I've ever used the word fossa in anything, but I will keep an eye out for another opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment