Monday, April 18, 2022

Aprl 18: Poem 18

In my classroom
teaching again
but it's loud outside
because men with jackhammers
need to get the work done

and there's a charcoal kitten
scratching at the classroom door
trying to get out
so I let it
because it's time to teach

but the principal
runs up
to put the cat back in
because they are
gathering lost cats
and using my room
to hold them

so 

I go back to teach
but there is a girl
in the back
sitting on her boyfriend's lap
and he's sixteen
and she's in middle school
and I'm about to say something
but I look down

and realize

I've been in my underwear
the whole time

and think
well

I have to teach.

Waking

my dog next to me
gently kicking my side
with his hind legs
running to something
or away from it

or maybe
just on an errand

to find my pants.

Notes

I had to write this at 3:30 in the morning because it just happened. This is the first draft and I"m not changing a thing. I don't have anxiety about going back to school tomorrow, YOU have anxiety about going back to school tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment